Thursday, January 15, 2009

Sketchaway


As threatened, actual drawn content.

Did this bit of sketching at Mom's house on or around the Christmas holidays... I think. It's been a while. Anyway, not really attempting much of anything, though I will say Star Trek was on my mind somewhat. A little bit of a mix of styles (such as they are) show up here, as you can probably tell. I find that style is still the hardest part of drawing (and just about everything else, as most folks who know me will attest ;), as I tend to draw based on a shape or idea, rather than from a core 'style'. Hence the old McCoy face in the middle, which is most like my usual style of drawing, to the simplified Doctor Who in the lower left (this is how I usually think of the character, almost cartoon-like by nature (in the best possible way)), to a further reduction/simplification of the guy on the right (sort of taken, stylistically, from a graphic novel some years ago called Mister Blank, to the bare-bones, angled linework of the Spock on the upper right. Not to mention the face in the lower middle section. Meh. God only knows what I was thinking at the time.

But hey, it's still drawing. As I was told, "Draw. Even if you hate it." So I did.

Anyway, that's it for now. I'll probably post some more next... Wednesday, let's say, if not sooner. Maybe a photo or two.

Stay warm.

Music: "The Devil You Know" - Jesus Jones

No comments: