Thursday, September 6, 2007

Trust Snape/Snape is a Very Bad Man



Back to Hogwarts...

Here are a couple different shots of the best character in the Harry Potter books, Severus Snape. Snape might not be a favorite character to many, but I think it would be hard to argue that he's not the best character in the books from a purely story point of view. Of course this means that you would probably all argue it, but it's my blog, so there. The reason I think he's such a great character is that, although he's supposedly one of the good guys, there is absolutely nothing good about him at all. He's arrogant, he's supremely self-confident, and he hates the hero of the book with a passion. And yet, he's trusted completely by the supposedly wisest character in the books. The question of whether or not Snape is really on the side of the good guys is a theme that runs through the entire series.

Okay, the pictures. This ended up being more of a set of ideas rather than a single defining sketch. Once I had abandoned my original idea for Snape (see Lucius Malfoy below) I knew I needed a different approach. For me, the idea that brought it all together was by giving Snape the white-on-black eyes. I'm not sure what made me come to that conclusion; it might be that Snape is very talented at hiding his thoughts from even the most powerful wizards. And, as they say eyes are the windows to the soul, I felt that the white-on-black would make for a nice image of shuttered "windows". Kind of convoluted thinking, but that's what I do.

The first sketch was the small one to the left- this was done to try to get a feel for how his face would look 'framed' by his hair. Snape is described as having stringy, greasy hair. Next, I went for the main headshot. This came across very well, I think. I wanted Snape to look very confident, almost condescending, but not actually evil or anything like that. I wanted him to look like he knows something very embarrassing about you, and he wouldn't hesitate in the slightest to use it against you. And again, the eyes. The last shot, the profile, was done to try to get a better feel for Snape's nose. I always imagine it as broken (it's described as hooked), and I like the idea of him looking down his nose with disgust at someone (most likely Potter). All in all, I'm very pleased with these shots- if anything were to be changed, I'd like to try for a more greasy look to Snape's hair, and maybe try to make him even more condescending and smarmy.

Also, there's a new poll to the right.

Baltimore Comicon is this weekend- you all know where I'll be now :) Have a good weekend; come back Monday for more Pottery. (sorry, it just typed itself out)

Cheers!

Music: "The Hand That Feeds"- Nine Inch Nails

No comments: