Friday, September 14, 2007

What is the secret of the Grail? Who does it serve?


And now, at long last, for something different.

You ever have one of those moments when you realize something, with complete clarity, down to the last detail? Whether it's a game being played, a puzzle being assembled, or whatever? One of those times when you have to just go with it, and trust it'll all sort itself out.

That's what this picture is.

Of course, it decided to hit me shortly after 1 am or so, after I was drifting off to sleep. Naturally, I got up out of bed, went downstairs, found my sketchbook and pencil, and came back up to draw it.

I really have no idea what brought on the images- I hadn't been reading or watching anything about knights, but there it was anyway. The dirt-covered, worn-out knight was standing there waiting for me to draw him. So I complied. Afterwards, I realized that the gist of the idea came from a scene from the movie Excalibur, specifically when the knights were on a quest to find the holy grail (or Holy Grail, if you like). Percival was the last of the knights questing; the others had died, either by their own hand, or by another's. Hence the hanged knight in the background. Percival was ultimately successful (wouldn't have been much of a story if he'd failed, right?)but in this image, I think he was wondering if it was worth the cost...

Anyway, it came together pretty well, though the image itself would benefit from being inked, or being photographed instead of scanned. There's a bit of detail lost, mostly in the sky. One more thing to learn.

That's about it for now. Next week: random sketches!

Have a good weekend- I know I will! (Behold the power of positive thinking!) (and the power of exclamation points... )

cheers

Music: "Secret Journey" - The Police

No comments: