Thursday, March 6, 2008

It's the miles...


My second all-digital sketch. This particular idea came about when someone pointed out that my Remus Lupin sketch didn't look "old enough" to really represent the character- he's often described as prematurely aged. My reply was, truthfully, I'm just not very good at drawing age lines (or laugh lines, if you're so inclined). Part of that comes from not being very subtle with pencil lines- age lines usually seem to work best when they're suggested in a drawing, rather than explicitly drawn in, and I definitely tend to draw in every line I can. So, when I realized I could start drawing right into the computer, I thought I might have an easier time of it with the ability to minutely control not only the line, but the color as well. For results, see above. I think it came out reasonably well, being what it was. For reference, I have a great book of facial expressions, including a series of an 80+ year-old woman. So, judicious application of pixels later, and I've got the above. It's interesting to look at the way the age lines follow the curves of the facial features, I think. Or maybe it's just me. Anyway, there you go.

Nothing to report otherwise; all's quiet. Oh, not quite- a new feature to the right: Ex Libris- titles and comments on books I'm currently reading, or have recently read, or think you might enjoy. Or hate, I don't know. But they're over there, if you're interested. Perhaps with some ambition, they'll have links to Amazon or some such. Or you can just take my word for it and buy them. Hey, have I ever steered you wrong before? (Don't answer that)

Music: "The Man Comes Around" - Johnny Cash

No comments: