Thursday, March 27, 2008

We Belong Dead...


I found this while digging through some of my older sketches- this is about 3 or 4 years old, I think. I'd had it in my head to tell a story with the Universal Monsters (imagine that), and thought it'd be fun to mess with their looks a little (and imagine that).

I learned that there's not a lot to be done with Frankenstein's Monster without veering wildly away from Jack Pierce's original design (at least, not at my level of talent; that and I think it's one of the most perfect monster designs ever), So I threw in a scarf. 'Cause, you know, it's cold when you're dead.

The Bride, on the other hand, was pretty easy to mess with. Or, in the vernacular, I sexed her up some. Hey, you don't know what's under that big white burial shroud-type gown of hers? And we all know sex sells... The one thing I liked about her 'redesign' was taking the lightning-inspired bouffant and turning it into a mass of dreadlocks. Nothing revolutionary, to be sure, but I think it makes for a more dynamic and interesting look. Also, sexier than a bouffant.

There you go. The coloring was done pretty much with only two brush settings in Photoshop. Since the picture was so rough, I thought it would be fun to 'paint' the colors in a pretty sloppy fashion. And, I'm lazy tonight. Still, I like the look to both characters, and wouldn't mind revisiting these particular ideas, not to mention the fast and loose (sloppy) coloring. It's fun to use a device made for absolute precision in such an imprecise fashion.

Music: "Frank and Ava" - Suzanne Vega

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Sexier than a bouffant??? NOTHING is sexier than a bouffant!

Signed,
Peggy Bundy