Sunday, February 3, 2008

Audio Visual


John Lennon.

I'm a relatively late convert to the Beatles. I remember my sister listening to cassettes of the "Red Album" and "Blue Album" back in the 80's, but not really paying much attention. I do distinctly remember liking "Revolution No.1", though. I also remember a fellow student in college telling me about a bootleg CD of Phish doing a complete cover of the White Album, but not really knowing what the "White Album" was...

Yeah, I'm not sure how I was so oblivious, either.

Needless to say, in the following years my musical tastes broadened and deepened a bit, and I was able to finally come around to understanding what all the fuss was about. Consequently, I've picked up the odd book and DVD with all kinds of behind the scenes goodies and info about the band- not a difficult task, considering they're probably one of the most written-about music acts in history.

Driving back to Pittsburgh one night I was listening to an audiobook of a Beatles bio and decided I REALLY needed to draw them in one way or another. So, lucky me, Borders is open late, and they had a nice Beatles photobook on sale cheap. It was a compilation of photos from one of the British newspapers, so it wasn't exactly filled with a bunch of glamourous shots, but it wasn't bad at all. I found 3 or 4 choice images, and decided to go with this one. If I remember correctlly (and since I just picked up the book, I do), this was John in 1964 on a TV show.

For the drawing itself, I really tried to get just the bare minimum of lines down to make it recognizable, but still a little stylized. Hopefully it worked. I came back much later and did the inking. The only photoshop work was removing the blue pencil and tweaking some leftover lines. I was thinking of coloring this, but decided I actually like the simplicity of the lines better.

End notes:

Casting for Junior Engineers:The Next Generation is now complete! Welcome to the world, kids.
'72 Dolphins: STILL the only unbeaten team in the NFL.

That which does not kill you, still leaves you pretty banged up.

That's it.

Music: "All You Need is Love" - The Beatles

No comments: