Tuesday, January 22, 2008

American Ideals



Welcome back! Hope everyone enjoyed their 3-day weekend (your time off may vary). I had an excellent time- as I always do when spending it with friends, both here and abroad.

But enough about me, let's talk about the art. It's no secret, to those who know me, that Captain America is my favorite comic book hero. He has been so ever since I picked up my first issue of his comic back in 1987- Captain America was called upon to work directly for the government, and had to choose to be told what was in America's interests, or to continue to follow what he believed was right. It sucked me in- I mean, it was loaded with action and all the appropriate melodrama for an 80's comic- but there was something about the character that really stuck with me. I think it was the idea of this person representing what America COULD be- all the best things we all love about the country- all the ideals that draw people to our country, and the reasons we love it.

Or it could've been the big freakin' shield.

Anyway, I've been faithfully following the adventures of Captain America more or less ever since then.

So, since I love the character so much, nothing like taking it and messing with it, right?

As I recall, the thinking behind this particular design was to 'modernize' the uniform. What would a 21st century Captain America wear? How could I make it look practical(ish) while still keeping it a superhero? Well, that's what I was thinking at the time. It's up to you to decide if it worked at all. I think this sketch is about 3 years old or so- not too long ago, I reapproached the idea of the modern Captain America; I post that either next post or in the near future.

Anyway, hope ya like it.

Music: "Van Diemen's Land" - U2

No comments: