Thursday, January 10, 2008

Cue the Morricone!


I finally bought and watched "A Fistful of Dollars" over the holiday weekend. I figure, I've seen it referenced in a dozen movies and shows over the years, the least I can do is watch the original. It was fun. It's great to see a younger Clint Eastwood having this much fun with a role. Plus, guns. And a poncho. And a suit of armor getting shot up. And so on. It was a lot of fun.

Strangely enough, though, I'd drawn this some time before I'd seen the movie. I wasn't thinking of Clint Eastwood's role specifically when drawing this, but it's hard not to imagine him when thinking of western characters. This was basically an exercise in lines for me- I wanted to go with an angular, cartoony look for a character. At the time, I was also thinking some about Stephen King's The Dark Tower series, whose main character is a gunslinger. So, two plus two equals the above.

While fun to draw like this (nearly reducing faces and figures to basic, stylized shapes), I've come to realize it's almost impossible, for me at least, to translate those drawings into a consistent look. If I tried to draw a front view of this face in this style, I'd have a hell of a time making it look the same. Ah well. Time to spend more time drawing.

Now, to go find two warring groups to place myself between- after all, a man has to make a living...

Music: "Beer for my Horses" - Toby Keith

No comments: